See you in spring 2017!
Sign up on the mailing list in the far right column to be notified of future dates.
From today’s convict governors back to the shady 19th-century land deals that turned mud into metropolis, Chicago has a centuries-old tradition of graft, kickbacks and corruption.
Former newspaper reporter Paul Dailing pulls the curtain back on these vanished stories through the Chicago Corruption Walking Tour.
The Chicago Way Package
The Chicago Way Package ($15) covers about a mile, ending at the State Street Bridge.
- How a land scam built the Midwest
- How early 1900s aldermen bought votes with free beer
- How blackmail built the Loop
- About undercover FBI stings, jailbird governors, gangster aldermen, patronage, gerrymandering and more!
The Bleepin’ Golden Package
Those who choose the Bleepin’ Golden Package ($25 total, or an extra $10 the day of the tour if you want to continue) will keep going to the Chicago Brown Line stop, for a total 2.25 miles.
- How a punk club turned into the center of River North ritz
- How a king-hating mayor distracted from Al Capone
- Why a newspaper bought a tavern
- About lakefront land grabs, parking meters shenanigans, hired trucks, TIFs, a fish that could climb a tree and more!
Half the tour gratuities will go to help City Bureau train young journalists from the city’s South and West sides. As you’ll learn on this tour, Chicago needs all the watchdogs it can get.